On Wednesday, January 11, the Colorado General Assembly begins its 2017 Legislative Session. It is important that gun owners and sportsmen across the state of Colorado stay actively involved throughout the New Year as well as stay-tuned to NRA-ILA email alerts and www.NRAILA.org as the session progresses.
Your NRA-ILA will continue to work hard to promote and protect your Second Amendment rights, and keep you updated on the status of legislation impacting your Second Amendment rights in Colorado.
View Mr. Trump’s position:
- Defend the Second Amendment of our Constitution. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed upon. Period.
- Nominate United States Supreme Court justices that will abide by the rule of law and the Constitution of the United States that includes upholding the Second Amendment.
- Enforce the laws on the books. We need to get serious about prosecuting violent criminals.
- Expand and bring back programs like Project Exile and get gang members and drug dealers off the street. When we do, crime will go down and our cities and communities will be safer places to live.
- Empower law-abiding gun owners to defend themselves. Law enforcement does a tremendous job, but they can’t be everywhere all of the time.
- Fix our broken mental health system. All of the tragic mass murders that occurred in the past several years have something in common – there were red flags that were ignored. We can’t allow that to continue. We must expand treatment programs, and reform the laws to make it easier to take preventive action to save innocent lives. Most people with mental health problems are not violent, but just need help, and these reforms will help everyone.
- Defend the rights of law-abiding gun owners:
– Military bases and recruiting centers – to have a strong military, we need to allow them to defend themselves
– National right to carry – should be legal in all 50 states
– Background checks – we need to fix the system we have and make it work as intended. What we don’t need to do is expand a broken system.
– Gun and magazine bans – the government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own
But last night you showed the world that America will once again be a country of, for, and by the PEOPLE.
You fought like a winner, you defied all odds, and history will forever remember the role you played in taking our country back.
I never could’ve done it without you, Friends. Thank you
Last night we learned that America is still a beacon of hope where the impossible is possible.
For far too long, we’ve heard Washington politicians give the excuse that “it can’t be done.”
- we can’t balance the budget,
- we can’t stop corruption,
- we can’t control the border,
- we can’t bring jobs back to our country.
I REFUSE to accept that it can’t be done. This is the country
that declared its independence, won two world wars, and landed a man on the moon. This is America. We can and we WILL get it done.
Now it’s time to start uniting our country and binding the wounds of our divided nation. I promise to be a president for ALL Americans. I will work for you. I will fight for you. And I will win for you.
You will soon remember what it’s like to win as an American.
Thank you and God bless you,
Donald J. Trump
On November 3, 1924, President Calvin Coolidge took to the radio airwaves to remind Americans of a solemn duty:
“All the opportunity for self-government through the rule of the people depends upon one single factor. That is the ballot box. . . . The people of our country are sovereign. If they do not vote they abdicate that sovereignty, and they may be entirely sure that if they relinquish it other forces will seize it, and if they fail to govern themselves some other power will rise up to govern them. The choice is always before them, whether they will be slaves or whether they will be free. The only way to be free is to exercise actively and energetically the privileges, and discharge faithfully the duties which make freedom. It is not to be secured by passive resistance. It is the result of energy and action. . . .
Persons who have the right to vote are trustees for the benefit of their country and their countrymen. They have no right to say they do not care. They must care! They have no right to say that whatever the result of the election they can get along. They must remember that their country and their countrymen cannot get along, cannot remain sound, cannot preserve its institutions, cannot protect its citizens, cannot maintain its place in the world, unless those who have the right to vote do sustain and do guide the course of public affairs by the thoughtful exercise of that right on election day.”
If you haven’t voted yet, time is short. It’s too late to mail your ballot, but you can still drop it off at numerous locations. The only other alternative is going to one of several polling places on Election Day Tuesday.
Remember, if you don’t vote, you can’t complain about what happens afterwards!
By Larry Keane
Newtown, CT -(AmmoLand.com)- With both the Republican National Convention (RNC) and the Democratic National Convention (DNC) now behind us, the gap between the Democratic and Republican party line on guns has become even more stark.
A brief comparison of the party platforms illustrates the divide.
Republicans continue to believe government should “acknowledge, support, and defend the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right of self-defense,” but Democrats couldn’t disagree more. Democratic National Committee member Bonnie Schaefer embodied the new Democratic line on Second Amendment issues when she said, “I really don’t personally think anyone should have a gun.”
- We will expand and strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws;
- Repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) to revoke the dangerous legal immunity protections gun makers and sellers now enjoy;
- Keep weapons of war—such as assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines (LCAM’s)—off our streets;
- We will fight back against attempts to make it harder for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to revoke federal licenses from law breaking gun dealers,
- Ensure guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists, intimate partner abusers, other violent criminals, and those with severe mental health issues;
- There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue
- We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment.
- We acknowledge, support, and defend the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right of self-defense.
- We call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights recognized in the Supreme Court’s decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago affirming that right, and we recognize the individual responsibility to safely use and store firearms. This also includes the right to obtain and store ammunition without registration.
- We support the fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and we support federal legislation that would expand the exercise of that right by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms in any state that issues such permits to its own residents. Gun ownership is responsible citizenship, enabling Americans to defend their homes and communities.
- We condemn frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers and oppose federal licensing or registration of law-abiding gun owners.
- We oppose legislation that is intended to restrict our Second Amendment rights by limiting the capacity of clips or magazines or otherwise restoring the ill-considered Clinton gun ban.
We condemn the reckless actions associated with the operation known as “Fast and Furious,” conducted by the Department of Justice, which resulted in the murder of a U.S. Border Patrol Agent and others on both sides of the border. We applaud the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives in holding the current Administration’s Attorney General in contempt of Congress for his refusal to cooperate with their investigation into that debacle.
We oppose the improper collection of firearms sales information in the four southern border states, which was imposed without congressional authority.
The major gun related goal both parties have in common is to protect our Nation’s citizens and ensure guns do not fall into the hands of criminals. Though the goal is the same, the approach between parties differs drastically.
The key problem is that none of the Democratic policies mentioned above would actually accomplish the shared goal to make American safer. The majority of law enforcement officials agree that any vetted citizen should be able to purchase a firearm for sport or self-defense, and believe qualified, law-abiding armed citizens can help law enforcement reduce violent criminal activity.
Democratic policy choices are not making Americans feel safer. In the wake of tragic terrorist attacks and civil unrest, gun sales have actually risen, demonstrating that Americans look to their Second Amendment rights for protection.
Endorsing repeal of the PLCAA is the most revelatory plank of the Democrat’s platform as it shows the true intent to put gun manufacturers out of business. Democrats need to realize that their attempt to impose stricter gun control laws on lawful gun owners is not only constitutionally wrong, but does the opposite of what they’re advocating. America is safer when law abiding citizens are able to protect themselves and their families and communities.
The choice between party platforms could not be clearer for those who value their Second Amendment rights. It’s a shame that it has come to this. After all, it was not that long ago that many prominent Democrats did not adhere to what is now “progressive” orthodoxy on gun control. But the party is now led by Hillary Clinton, and she has made a concerted decision to campaign on this issue. As a result, the stakes could not be higher. If Hillary Clinton wins the White House, she will claim a mandate to pursue extremist agenda items in the party platform – gun control perhaps first and foremost.
Gun owners, take heed — #GUNVOTE on Nov 8, and tell your friends, family, and fellow gun owners to do the same!
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 13,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers.
For more information, visit www.nssf.org.