January 5, 1970 – Fred Crowle was elected President; being the first President after John Schooley.

February 10, 1970 – The monthly newsletter indicated that the 1970 dues were $9.50, a $10 work bond plus
$5 payable separately to the NRA, if applicable. At this time, Crowle was President, Rhone Treasurer, Peterson
Corresponding Secretary and Schooley Legislature. By November 5, 1970, there was a Secretary James Smith.

February 19, 1970 – The Uinta range had a caretaker with “Duties of the caretaker of the Cheery Creek Gun
Club” being defined.

June 1, 1970 – Rules were revised indicating that membership applications were $25 for initiation, $12.50
yearly for dues and $12.50 for a work bond which is refundable for working eight hours. The rules indicated
that there was an Outdoor Pistol Range to be used only for hand guns “except that the first 25 west-end
positions may be used for rim-fire rifles. A big Bore Range where rim-fire rifles of less than 2,000 fps muzzle
velocity and shotguns are prohibited; muzzle loaders may be used; the 300 yard firing line may no longer be
used; common firing point will be on the 200 yard line but the 100 yard line may be used if no other shooters
are firing or waiting; only targets in appropriate frames may be used; muzzle loaders have to be shot from the
100 yard line; shotguns only on the Outdoor Pistol Range. In the Indoor Range, rim-fire firearms with
cartridges no more powerful than Long Rifle may be used; center-fire hand guns with loads no more powerful
than .45 caliber loaded with 3.5 grains of Bullseye; Police Combat Range to be used only by NRA-approved
rules for the Police Combat Course. Members are allowed one free guest; any additional guests have to pay
$1.00. The gate chain must be up and locked at all times except during scheduled matches.

1970 – The Club conducted Sighting In Days, according to a flier, on October 3-4 and October 10-11. Sighting
in was done from a bench rest at 200 yards at $1.50 per gun.

November 1970 – A committee for revising the bylaws was set up consisting of Crowle, Schooley and Smith.

November 30, 1970 – Donald Williams applied for the duties of Range Caretaker. The duties were defined in a
memorandum from Fred Crowle, President, to protect the facilities and property from unauthorized use,
maintaining the house he lives in at an adjoining area, performing minor maintenance and repair, keeping roads and pathways clear, notifying House and Grounds of any maintenance, etc., needed, being continuously
present to provide information, collecting use fees from visitors, etc. The Club had a registered Winter Pistol
League, $2.00 registration fee, $0.50 per match. The league began on November 3; bricks of .22 ammunition
were available for $6.75.

December 1970 - President Alfred Crowle announced that the Club is searching for new range locations. John
Schooley reported on possible locations at Castle Rock or possible ground expansion at Table Mountain.

December 17, 1970 – Regular monthly meetings had been held on Thursday. At this meeting, the meeting
night was unanimously approved to be moved to 7:30 PM on the second Friday of the month (moved by Lloyd
Gebow, seconded by John Schooley). At this time, there was $1,875.31 in checking, $10,227.45 in savings,
property tax was $1,300 and 22 ammunition was $7.50 per 1,000.

December 1970 – The Club had a Big Bore Winter League with firing dates from December 20, 1970 twice per
month through April 4, 1971 with all firing (a 50 shot course) done from the 200 yard line “with reduced
targets to simulate the range.”

March 12, 1971 – President Crowle discussed the proposal to Game, Fish and Parks for a range at Cherry
Creek Reservoir and suggested that a planning committee be appointed to prepare a plan acceptable to the
members and the Game, Fish and Parks.

1971 – Under the Presidency of Crowle, negotiations were begun to operate the Cherry Creek Outdoor Range
concession.

January 13, 1972 – Bylaws approved, signed by President Alfred J. Crowle, Secretary Alan H. Peterson, and
Treasurer Thomas J. Rhone. There is a Board of Directors. It can confer special memberships, like Life,
Emeritus and Honorary. The Board shall have general charge of the affairs and property, shall consist of 13
elected members and shall elect from the BOD a President, Secretary, Treasurer, and ten Vice Presidents. It
shall also elect from its members a Chairman who shall preside at Board meetings and carry out such duties as
would a Chairman of the Board of any corporation chartered by the laws of the State of Colorado.

The above Bylaws replaced the original ones that were adopted on December 22, 1955, signed by John M.
Schooley, President, Eugene A. Ferrand Jr., Secretary. In these replaced bylaws, there were eleven Board
members, of which there were President, Secretary-Treasurer, and nine Vice Presidents elected from the
Board of Directors. The President presided at all meetings of the Club and Board of Directors. There were
Vice Presidents (with duties spelled out) for plans and programs, large bore rifle activities, small bore rifle
activities, outdoor pistol activities, gallery pistol activities, house and grounds, legislation and conservation,
shotgun activities, and muzzle loading activities.

December 10, 1972 – President Crowle called the meeting to order and new officers for 1973 were elected.
Gene Ferrand became the new President.

April 23, 1973 – The Club enrolled in the Civilian Marksmanship Program which entitled it to free issues of
ammunition and targets according to a letter from Joseph Smith, Executive Officer to Alan H. Peterson,
Secretary, and the Junior Division 3611 indicating that renewal requires providing a roster of Senior and Junior
members. The Club had eight M1s, three 22 Remington M513-T WE, and one 22 Winchester M75 WE. The Club code number was #611 and it was a Type 2 Club as of November 1972. The Club had facilities for .22,
.30, .45 calibers indoor and outdoor range facilities available to the Club. Ammunition was available per club;
300 rounds 22 per firing member and the same for Junior firing members.

1973 – Jim Smith put out a flier entitled “Shooting and Hunting” with a box to fill in for a Hunter Safety
Training Class together with a concise map of the location of the Uinta Range. This was in association with a
recent requirement by Colorado that “all persons born on or after January 1, 1949 will be required to
successfully complete this Hunter Safety Training Course before purchasing a Hunting License.”

1973 – The Club had quite a few High Power shooters, 34 identified, which included among others; John Shaw,
Howard Glasier, Gifford Henderson, William Tabor, Alfred Crowle, Gustavus Center, Louis Benton and Alan
Peterson.

September 1973 – Shotgun shooting was discontinued at the Uinta range because “of the limited dimensions
of our property, there is too great a danger that shot fired on our range will carry beyond our property lines.”
“We have been advised by counsel” to be sure that no projectiles leave our property.

September 1973 – The “Firing Line” masthead indicated that Ferrand was President, Schooley was Legislative
and Chairman of the Board, Rhone was Treasurer and Peterson was Recording Secretary. The “Firing Line”
notes that the October meeting “is historically skipped due to the attraction of the big game hunting season.”

October 25, 1973 – Club meeting minutes indicate that various concrete offers were being considered for sale
of the Uinta property, for instance anywhere from $6,000 per acre to $16,000 per acre depending on how the
property would be used and by a least six different realtors; Schooley was presiding at the time. The Board
decided, among other things, that it was important to do one thing at a time: “sell, find and buy new site,
build.” They even considered (only passingly because of extreme high cost) of “staying and going
underground.” Most members (in survey) live in south metro area; 23 are competitive shooters; 58 are
competitive “and other”; 23 are “occasional”; another 53 are “other.” The Club has an embossed seal.

February 1974 – Range and Club House were at 2731 South Uinta, Denver, Colorado 80222 and the 1973
Board members included Gene Ferrand, President; John Schooley, Legislative and Chairman of the Board; Paul
R. Guthrie, Executive Officer; Thomas J. Rhone, Treasurer, according to the “Firing Line” monthly newsletter.
In later issues the problem of neighbor complaining about shooting noise was brought up and by December
1974, use of the outdoor pistol range was suspended “until a satisfactory resolution of the noise abatement
problem is reached with City officials”. According to a commentary in the December 1974 “Firing Line”, CCGC
has come up against a serious problem due to new housing springing up around it and a new ordinance
limiting noise to 55 db during the day and 50 db at night “less than a small vacuum cleaner”. Also, the City has
taken a section of our land to put in a new street thus cutting off access to our outdoor pistol range. Decisions
have to be made about staying and “fighting it out” or moving and, if moving to what kind of facility.

December 13, 1974 – Some members of note attending the Annual Meeting are John Schooley, John Shaw,
Alan Peterson, Walter Cooper, Ted Zimmerman, and Gene Ferrand. There were 51 members present.

February 6, 1974 – The Rocky Mountain News reported that a “Denverite was charged with assault of an
officer.” This 35 year old from 2731 S. Uinta was jailed on a charge of aggravated assault on a policeman after
pointing two loaded shotguns at the officer. The officer was attempting to settle a dispute between Williams and his wife Regina outside their residence. Williams grabbed a 12 gauge and pointed it at the officer and
Mrs. Williams. The officer grabbed it away and Williams grabbed a second shotgun. The office grabbed it
away and wrestled Williams to the ground and handcuffed him. Both shotguns were loaded and Williams had
shotgun shells on him.

March 8, 1974 – A meeting of the Board concerning the Caretaker Donald E. Williams for a disturbance on
February 5, 1974 in which he had been charged on April 9 at a preliminary hearing with menacing an office, a
“felony with a possible sentence of 1 to 5 years.” A motion was moved and seconded “that such action as
necessary be taken to evict Donald E. Williams.”

April 1974 – Duties and responsibilities of Caretaker position were redefined in a formal document. A
Caretaker had to sign said document to get the position.

Members of interest listed in the 1974 membership list included: Fred Bogue, A. J. Crowle, Eugene Ferrand,
Henry Fleenor (named Caretaker replacing Williams in 1974), Dennis Fluman, Howard Glasier, Paul Guthrie,
Giff Henderson, Charles O. Peacock, Charles R. Peacock and Alan Peterson.

The 1974 roster of Cherry Creek Junior Rifle Club included Cindy Crowle and Nelson Crowle. There were 214
senior members and 20 Junior members and others for a total of 243 members.

August 19, 1974 – A special Board meeting was called by Chairman John Schooley to consider the offer by the
City of Denver of $9,400 for the property needed by them for completion of the paving of Dartmouth Ave.
The sale was approved.

1975 – A statistical report to the DCM shows 214 members who expended 22,000 .22 rounds per year, 6
females as members. The Club meets once a month, conducts Basic Marksmanship instruction 28 times per
year, conducts Hunter Safety courses and engages in competition and tournaments with other clubs.

1975 – A letter from Theodore Zimmerman, Chairman of the Board, to other Board members indicates that
the census of the club is to dispose of the property hoping for $300,000 for same and to “pursue a possible
site for an indoor range and clubhouse within an industrial area of south Denver”. The 1975 Board included
Howard Glasier, Giff Henderson, John Shaw, John Schooley, Theodore Zimmerman, Tom Rhone, with Donald
Kiddy as President and Zimmerman as Chairman of the Board.

Van Schaack & Company had an exclusive Right to Sell Listing contract for the Uinta property with $450,000
asking price.

March 28, 1975 – The Board meeting indicates a green light on considering purchase of a, among others, 1.5
acre parcel at 1310 South Clinton. “This property is already zoned for an indoor shooting facility, so if we are
successful in the offer to purchase, we should be able to begin construction of the indoor range very soon.” At
this meeting, Walt Cooper resigned from the Board and as editor of the “Firing Line.”

Van Schaack & Co. put out a flier offering 39 plus acres of prime land for residential development consisting of
the CCGC property and an adjacent 20 acres of vacant land. The parcel was zones R-1, is surrounded by family
homes in the $45,000 to $65,000 range and is conveniently located near I-25.

April 1, 1976 – The Club was still using a letterhead showing the 2731 S. Uinta, Denver, CO 80222 address.
Howard Glasier was House and Grounds Chairman in May 13, 1976. (By August 1978, the Club was at its
South Clinton Address.)

August 2, 1976 – A contract between State of Colorado for the use and benefit of the Department of Natural
Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, and the Cherry Creek Gun Club, Inc., to provide a
Concession Permit to CCGC as contractor to operate a Public Shooting Range Concession in such a manner as
to approved standards as will as provide maximum use and service to and for the general public, and shall be
available to the public at all available times. The contractor had to pay the State a minimum fee of $365 at the
beginning of each year. If gross receipts exceed $15,000 in a year, the contractor has to pay an additional
rental of 5% of such excess. This was signed by CCGC President George W. Reipl(??) and Executive Director of
the Colorado Department of Natural Resources Robert D. Stull.

December 1976 – A letter from Theodore Zimmerman to Walter A. Cooper indicates proposed revised bylaws
for the Club. Some changes: no family or group memberships; membership and membership signature cards
go from the Secretary to the Treasurer; the structure of President, Secretary, Treasurer, and chairman be
preserved.

January 1, 1977 – The Club bylaws were revised to indicate that the Board of Directors consisted of 13
members. They elected among themselves a President, a Senior Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer and
nine Vice Presidents with duties specified by the Board. It also elected from itself a Chairman “who shall
preside at Board meetings and generally carry out those functions usually carried out by the Chairman of the
Board of any corporation chartered by the laws of the State of Colorado.” There is also to be a Vice Chairman.
This revision was signed, in order, by the Chairman, President, and Secretary.

September 23, 1977 – The club sells the old range as indicated by General Warranty Deed for consideration of
$255,977.50 to Gun Club Green Associates. It is the property located in the City and County of Denver and
includes appurtenances: all target carriers and hardware in the indoor range; four high intensity range lights in
the indoor range; all steel plates and hardware in target backstop in the indoor range; light standard and
hardware on the outdoor pistol range; security light on poles in the parking lot; all steel and hardware from
the pits; all steel in the 25 yard and 50 yard outdoor ranges; and the portable steel storage building. CCGC
president signing this at the time was Donald Kiddy and Chairman of the Board, Theodore R. Zimmerman. The
address of this property is 2731 S. Uinta Street, Denver, CO 80222.

January 12, 1978 – A memorandum from President Donald Kiddy to the Board indicated that the sale of the
Uinta property was closed on our 18.3 acres for $350,000 in September 1977. We also successfully purchased
the indoor range equipment from the Air Force Academy in March which included 30 Dentam target carriers,
controls, attachments and 34,325 pounds of steel armor plate for a total price of $1,600, “a fantastic bargain.”

March 10, 1978 – Board minutes indicate that Walt Cooper resigned as Secretary and a volunteer, Chuck
Towne, was accepted by Board vote to serve as Secretary and, in conjunction with Walt Cooper, as Firing Line
editor.

April 12, 1978 – The club purchased a 150 by 450 foot parcel at 1310 S. Clinton. The parcel equates to 1.55
acres.

SULLIVAN DAM RANGE

April 16, 1978 - Ted Zimmerman submitted an article from the Denver Post Empire Magazine dated April 16,
1978 about “The Reservoir That Stayed Dry.” The article showed a picture of the Reservoir and surrounding
area “just before the start of demolition in October 1977.”

According to the April 1978 article, it was recently leveled to make room for a park and residential
development. It was an enormous water repository which was begun in 1890, cost the then astronomical sum
of nearly half a million dollars, and “never held a drop of water other than what the heavens provided.”

“Sullivan reservoir loomed above the southeast Denver skyline as a three-story mound of earth for 85 years.
The reservoir was the idea of Dennis Sullivan, onetime vice president of the Denver Water Co. which later
became the Denver City Water Works, Co. Sullivan wanted to build a huge reservoir about 8 miles southeast
of Denver, which would hold 50 million gallons of water that would, starting at an elevation of 403 feet above
the confluence of South Platte River and Cherry Creek, flow by gravity to the city and serve a large population.
The reservoir had begun to be built by early 1890 at the town of Sullivan (also named after the same man).
Cherry Creek water was to be trapped in an underground trough or lined vault, and this water then would be
pumped into the reservoir which was being built about half a mile away. Its outlet line, near the north wall’s
bottom, would be 370 feet above the city datum line. To raise the water to the reservoir would require
pumps and engines which would have been some 40 feet tall and 50 feet long, not including the boilers, and
this machinery would cost about $170,000. Two Pumps were planned with a capacity of 15 million gallons a
day.

Construction of the reservoir itself began in May of 1890. But money ran short, wages were not being paid,
and work stopped by December 1890. They got more money and work resumed on March 2, 1891. Financing
had to come from signing up potential users of the water and that was the main problem – getting “water
subscribers”. So the company used loan money but then it couldn’t pay interest on the loan. Construction
stopped in mid- 1893.

The project remained a viable project in the minds of some farsighted engineers such as D. D. Gross although
Denver did not own it outright. The sale in July 1893, gave Denver first option on the facility. Gross was
planning to have Denver buy Castlewood Dam 27 miles upstream from Sullivan to enhance the water system
and provide an excellent gravity-feed system. But the flood of August 3, 1933 obliterated Castlewood Dam
and sealed Sullivan’s doom. Also, the 1936 completion of the Moffat water tunnel bringing water under the
Continental Divide to Denver made Sullivan unnecessary. The property, about 80 acres including the reservoir
proper was sold to private parties for agricultural purposes. In the early 1950s, the searing drought that hit
the Rockies changed even that.

In 1955 the then owner, a John DeGrood, sold the bulk of the property to the Isaac Walton League of Colorado
which eventually turned it over to the Cherry Creek Gun Club. The “bowl” made an ideal site for the shooting
ranges. More than 200 yards square and rock-lined, it kept high-powered rifle and pistol slugs inside with
ease. The 20 acre plus site served the club well and the 300 members constructed a large clubhouse. It
contained not only meeting rooms, but inside shooting facilities to supplement the 50 position outside range for handguns. Although the old reservoir’s north wall and part of the east one had been removed in the late
1930s to provide riprap for the new Cherry Creek Dam and reservoir, it still might have served southeast
Denver.

Sullivan was destined to remain only a facility for bore sighting rifles and for shooting them.

The last shots were fired in Sullivan’s 8 and 10 foot thick walls in October 1977 after the property was signed,
sealed and delivered at the bank closing. Edwin Baker, Jr. who bought a home in the neighborhood in 1963
negotiated the purchase of the 37.5 acre site for some $275,000. When DeGrood bought it at the delinquent
tax sale, he picked up the entire 80 acre site in the late 1930s for about $6,000.

As of April 1978, the site is being contoured and graded to contain more than 120 homes which will ring a 7
acre central park with a 6 foot high fence of wrought iron and reservoir stone artistically marking the area and
also flanking an entry gate. The Park, called Gun Club Green, is the highest point in southeast Denver.”

July 20, 1978 – At the Board meeting, John Shaw was elected President. Schooley made a motion to accept
the offer of $65,000 for the Clinton property. The motion passed unanimously. The Board decided that the
next General meeting (scheduled for August 11) should be held “at our new Clinton property. Members of the
family are invited.” This would have been the first meeting of the Club at its new property. Also, the Club was
the only bidder on the Cherry Creek Dam facility and that the Club would be awarded the lease. Zimmerman
and Schooley will continue negotiations with the state for the lease.

July 28, 1978 – In a letter to CCGC in care of John Shaw, Gary H. Taylor, Architect, summarized his fees and
services “for your proposed range on Clinton Street.” Architect’s total fee of 7 % “of construction cost, based
on $100,000 becomes a lump sum of $7,000”. He is looking forward to beginning work immediately.

August 4, 1978 – A deed of sale between Carl Jacobs of Arapahoe County and Cherry Creek Gun Club Inc. (c/o
John Shaw) that, for the sum of $65,000.00, vacant land at approximately 1310 S. Clinton Street is conveyed to
the club. The deed listed the legal description of the property. The actual cost was $65,013.50 because of
such other expenses as Certificate of Taxes due, Documentary Fee, etc., according to Statement of Settlement
between purchaser John Shaw, co-signer, purchaser Theodore Zimmerman, and Albert Weltman representing
Highland East Realty, Ltd. Water was provided by an artesian well owned by seller Carl Jacobs with his
permission and until such time as city water becomes available.

The club applied for a Range Development Loan from the NRA, as evident from a mailgram from NRA’s B.
Feifert signed by Gary Anderson to John Schooley indicated that the loan was under consideration, having
been turned over to Bill Crewe. Anderson writes “I have fired in some fine matches on their old outdoor
ranges and was concerned when the club had to sell those facilities.” Incidentally, he suggested that the
proposal to build two ranges of 24 firing points at 25 meters might be wasteful, since “all NRA indoor rifle and
pistol programs are established for 50 foot shooting.”

August 4, 1978 – Standard Form of Agreement was signed between Cherry Creek Gun Club, Inc., owner, and
Gary H. Taylor, Architect, to construct a Gun Range facility on South Clinton Street. The form was signed by
John Shaw, President, Theodore R. Zimmerman, Chairman of the Board, and Architect Gary H. Taylor.

August 4, 1978 – An agreement was signed between Taylor Architect and John S. Shaw, President, and
Theodore R. Zimmerman, Chairman of the CCGC Board, for construction of the new range, to “construct a Gun
Range facility on South Clinton Street (Block 1, Lot 1, Greene’s Subdivision) in Arapahoe County, Colorado.”
The planners were aware of lead toxicity problems in planning the range, using an article by Ted N. Busch
“Shooting Ventilation Progress Report” in the December 1976 “The Police Chief,” page 40, and accordingly
planned an “expensive” but effective ventilation system for the new range. The backstop were to be made of
A-36 steel, with plates being 48 inches wide; there would be a water trap.

August 11, 1978 – A Board meeting was held at Howard Glasier’s residence included Zimmerman, Glasier,
Flyles, Ukockis, Shaw, LeRoux, Reitze, Towne, Schooley and Morris. Zimmerman indicated that the Club has
purchased the Clinton property for a total of $64,970. Preliminary indoor range building plans have been
drawn up by an architect. The Club is still negotiating with the State for an outdoor facility at the Cherry Creek
Dam. At this meeting, John Shaw is mentioned as being the “new President.”

February 6, 1979 – Gary H. Taylor, Architect/Planner, submitted a five sheet Cost Estimate for building the
current 20 point gun range. Subtotal estimated cost at $158,855 plus 10 % “contingency” of $15,000, a C-M
fee of $174 for a “Total by Contactor” of $191,235.

May 23, 1979 – The club took over the concession of the shooting range located on the Cherry Creek State
Park property.

September 20, 1979 – Chuck Towne, Secretary, received a letter from E.A. Heers, Project Engineer of Hornady,
that Hornady does not have any formal plans available for underground ranges. He describes Hornady’s
existing one, in answer to Towne’s request for information regarding CCGC building its “tube.” Heers enclosed
two sketches (on one sheet of paper) detailing nature of their tube, especially use of a sand trap for impact,
and inclusion of exhaust fans.

Late 1979 – The construction of the Cherry Creek Gun Club indoor shooting range was completed.

Late 1979 – The installation of the Air Force Academy target system (see January 12, 1978 entry) was installed
in the indoor range. The “wiper system” of electrical power transfer to the target carriers was found to be
unreliable. Charles Towne modified each target carrier to accept a jumper cable into a receptacle. Work
parties modified the rail receptacle accordingly. A sufficient number of jumper cables were constructed by
Chuck Towne.